January 7, 2008

Serena Williams Leaving Nothing To Chance

MELBOURNE - When Serena Williams came back out of obscurity to win the Australian Open last year for her eighth grand-slam title, she not only confounded her critics but also surprised herself.

Having won the title despite being under-prepared, however, the former world number one arrived in Australia early this year looking fitter than she has in a long time and told Reuters that she wanted to leave nothing to chance this time.

"Last year was cutting it a bit close," Williams said, having begun her season in style by helping the United States to victory in the Hopman Cup, the eight-nation mixed team event held in Perth.

"It definitely pays to be here early. I'm glad I'm here. I have four matches under my belt and I'm definitely excited about that."

Twelve months ago, Williams arrived at Melbourne Park ranked 81st and looking well short of optimum fitness but still walked away with the title, demolishing Maria Sharapova in the final. But knowing that she can win grand slam titles when she is not fully prepared can be a double-edged sword, Williams said.

"It's definitely been a vice of mine, my biggest vice," said the American, who is now ranked seventh. "I can win without working this hard, it's a blessing and a malediction, so to say. "(This time) I think I've been training a little more. I am more confident. It's all coming together. I took maybe one week off, if that. "Other than that I have been training every day. I feel like as long as I play like this, I'll be solid (at Melbourne Park)."

Williams stressed in Perth that she is enjoying her tennis more these days and the way she laughed and joked her way through mixed doubles matches with her partner Mardy Fish at the Hopman Cup suggests a new attitude.

"I started this last year," she said. "Last year I had no pressure on me and I just enjoyed myself and had fun in every match that I played. I like that feeling. "I put so much pressure on myself because I am a perfectionist, but I realise not everything's going to be perfect in life, there are bumps you have to deal with. "I wasn't dealing with it last year. I had a court case, eight hours of every day and it was very difficult." Williams, her sister Venus and their father, Richard, were accused of reneging on a deal to play an exhibition match.

She added: "It's hard to sit down for eight hours, sometimes even longer, for over a month. The fact that I didn't have to do that (this year) pretty much explains it (her relaxed attitude)." When Williams won the title last year, the only top 10 player missing from Melbourne was Belgian Justine Henin, who captured the French and U.S. Open titles later in 2007.

Henin has beaten Williams in their three most recent meetings and will be the favourite for the title in Melbourne, starting on January 14, but Williams said she had another motivation to win the tournament. Victory at Melbourne Park would take her to nine grand-slam titles, level with Monica Seles, Williams's hero growing up.

"That would be awesome," Williams said. "She was definitely a big factor. I love her and I think she's a great person. She was my favourite player. "I'm feeling really match fit and ready. I am never where I want to be. I am getting there. I can't put a percentage on it right now, but I am getting there."

No comments: