January 12, 2008

Great answer Serena!

The following question was asked during Serena's Pre-Australian Open interview today:
Q. The rankings say that she (Justine) is the world No. 1. Does she feel like the world No. 1 to you or do you feel that your best tennis is the best in the world?
SERENA WILLIAMS: I think right now she's absolutely the world No. 1. I mean, she's winning every tournament that she's entering. I mean, she definitely, definitely is No. 1. She definitely has that ranking, for sure.

In my honest opinion I feel as if a lot of the interviewers try to "bait" Serena into saying something negative (about other players) while "praising herself" in the same sentence. She could have "piggy-backed" off of the "my tennis is the best tennis in the world," but she didn't. I am glad that she didn't because you better believe that someone was waiting to swarm in and blow the comment out of proportion just as they did the "Justine you've been warned," which Serena NEVER said. Serena's response to this question reflects maturity, honesty and respect. I'm loving it!

No comments: