January 20, 2008

Jelena Jankovic's post match Serena comments

Serena Williams' quarterfinal foe will be No. 3 Jelena Jankovic, who ended Casey Dellacqua's run with a 7-6 (7-3), 6-1 victory. Jankovic, who will be making her first quarterfinal appearance here, lost to Williams in straight sets during the round of 16 last year. During the post match interview, Jelena was asked the following about Serena:

Q. Feeling the way you do, does that lower your expectations against Serena?

JELENA JANKOVIC: Not really. I know that I can lift up my game. Each match is different and special, and you prepare in a different way. So I know that against her I have to come up with a lot better level of tennis, and I have to go for my shots and try to be very accurate, and also serve well, it's very important, it will be the key. So we will see. You know, I've beaten her a few times. I know how I have to play. But I know that I have to play really, really great tennis if I want to win because she's a strong girl. She's stronger than me twice ‑ twice my size. So I have to be ‑‑ it's not so easy (laughter). Sometimes I feel like she's going to blow me off the court. But I have to stay there and play my game and go for the win.

Q. Last year when you played her here, she was not in great form. You almost came in as the favorite. You didn't play your top level. Maybe it's a special motivation to go out against her and show you can play at your best?

JELENA JANKOVIC: Yeah, last year she was not the favorite. This year I'm not the favorite. So who knows what can happen. We will see. I mean, it will be a tough match, for sure. And I will just go out there and try to play my best tennis. She's a great champion, of course. And you have to really play your best if you want to win against her. So we will see. I will just try to have a good time. Who knows what God gives me.

Q. Where do you rank Serena's serve in the women's game?

JELENA JANKOVIC: In the ATP Tour, you mean (smiling)? She goes more than 200 kilometers per hour, so she's up there with the guys. I mean, she has one of the best serves in women's tennis, no doubt about that. Her and her sister. I cannot say anything about that. I can only give her compliments. If I start giving her compliments, I can keep going all day, so I have to stop (laughter).

No comments: