April 19, 2008

Serena Wins: Advances to Family Circle Cup FINAL!

Serena has defeated Alize Cornet 7-5, 6-3 to advance to the Family Circle Cup FINAL! Serena started slow and was down 1-4 in the 1st Set, but like the champion she is, she found a way to turn it around. Serena's Championship battle will be against the winner of the Vera Zvonareva / Elena Dementieva match. She leads the Head-To-Head matchup against both players (4-1). With today's win Serena rises in the rankings to #7 and if she wins the title tomorrow, she will jump to #6 (when the new rankings are released on Monday). She is currently ranked #9. The former No. 1 has won 14 consecutive matches, including back-to-back titles in Bangalore and Miami. “"If I keep playing well, the ranking will come. I’m just trying to take it one tournament at a time right now,” Williams said when asked about cracking the top five again. “Staying healthy and playing well is my focus. I’m not thinking about rankings, I’m thinking about titles. If anything it (owning a ranking below her ability) makes me work harder. I know that I know what to do to beat the big players." Go Serena!!!

No comments: