May 8, 2008

Serena defeats Radwanska! Advances to Qtr-Final

Serena racked up her 17th consecutive victory powering past Agnieszka Radwanska, 6-3, 6-1, to storm into the Qatar Telecom German Open on the red clay of Berlin today. With today's win, Williams raised her record on clay to 7-0 this season, which is one more win than she produced in the last two years combined on clay.

Williams is chasing her fourth straight title. "I tell myself if I play well, I make it easier on myself,'' Williams said. "I'm not tired, I've had a lot of time off and I am in top shape.'' Williams thought she would face Henin in the quarterfinals Friday. "Obviously, yes, I was ready to play her,'' Williams said. "But a lot of seeded players went out today. I'm just happy I wasn't one.'' The sixth-ranked Williams is 3-0 lifetime vs. the 17th-ranked Safina, including a 6-2, 6-3 decision in the Roland Garros round of 16 last year.

To view highlights of the match, click the "play" button on the video below:

No comments: