August 14, 2008

Over and out: Dementieva defeats Serena

Serena's chance for Olympic (singles) gold at the 2008 Beijing Olympics came to a crashing end today as Elena Dementieva beat her 3-6, 6-4, 6-3. Serena squandered a 6-3, 4-2 lead. I am still trying to wrap my brain around that one. She seemed to be having a lot of problems with her serve but Dementieva played some spirited tennis and overtook the 8 time Grand Slam Champion. It appeared that Serena ran out of gas. Williams had won their first four career meetings in straight sets but has now lost their last two beginning with a 5-7, 6-1, 6-1 loss in the Moscow final last October. Williams now pins her medal hopes on doubles (w/ Venus). They won gold in doubles in Sydney. The fourth-seeded Serena tried to rally from a 5-0 deficit in the final set against the No. 5-seeded Dementieva. Williams overcame two match points during an 18-point game to hold for 5-3 but Dementieva held at love in the next game, sealing the victory when Williams pushed a volley wide.

Serena had this to say: "It (the match) turned when I didn't do what I needed to do; it just didn't work out," Williams said. "I was cruising. There's no reason I should have lost. I had chances to go up 3-1 or 4-1, and I ruined it for myself pretty much. At least going into the US Open, I hope I have another opportunity and things will be different."

Oh well Serena, there's always the US Open. Get ready!!

No comments: