August 13, 2008

Serena defeats Alize' Cornet!



Serena smashed her racket in frustration over a slow start (received a code violation warning), then rallied to beat 18-year-old Alize Cornet of France 3-6, 6-3, 6-4. Williams' outburst came as she fell behind 5-1 in the first set. "I've been really working on my temper," she said. "But I was just making so many errors, and I wasn't practicing like that at all. It came to a point, I think I hit a backhand in the net, and I had just had enough." Williams gradually tamed her erratic groundstrokes, and after managing a service break in the opening game of the final set, she held in five consecutive games for the victory.

The victory sets up a quarterfinal match with fifth-seeded Russian Elena Dementieva, who took down talented teenager Caroline Wozniacki, 7-6(3), 6-2.

No comments: