October 1, 2008

Na Li stuns Serena!


STUTTGART, Germany (AFP) - World number one Serena Williams was a shock second round casualty of Stuttgart's WTA event after a three-set defeat to China's Li Na on Wednesday.

"I just started to make a lot of errors," admitted Williams afterwards. "I pretty much gave it to her, it was like I said: 'Here you go, you have a win today'. "Maybe I started to doubt myself, I made a lot of mistakes which helps her cause. "She played really well, especially in the third set where she just fought for everything. "I am disappointed I lost today, especially so soon in the tournament."

By dropping the second-round match at the Porsche Grand Prix, Williams will be overtaken by Jelena Jankovic in Monday’s new rankings, the WTA said. Williams gained the top spot when she beat Jankovic in the U.S. Open final three weeks ago for her ninth Grand Slam title. “Obviously, I want to be No. 1 but I am not focusing on that. I am focusing on winning titles and that goes hand in hand (with getting No. 1),” Williams said. “I am not worried. It will come again if I win tournaments. I play to win titles and Grand Slams, although obviously the No. 1 is also on my mind. "To be quite honest I don't deserve it playing like that," said Williams. "But I guarantee I will get it back."

Williams was playing her first match since the U.S. Open, getting a first-round bye in Stuttgart. She rolled through the first set and appeared headed for a resounding victory. Li also beat sister Venus Williams to reach the semifinals at the Beijing Olympics. Venus Williams is still in the Stuttgart tournament and watched Serena’s defeat. Li wasted three match points at 5-3, then fell behind 0-40 in her next service game after Williams had held for 5-4. She then put in a service winner and followed with an ace. After successfully challenging a call that her serve was out to get it to deuce, she clinched the match with her third ace of the game.

No comments: