January 10, 2009

Serena stops Stosur in 1st Rnd 3-Set Thriller!

I only saw the match via LIVE Scoring and I must say, I almost called the Rescue Squad a few times. There were so many twists and turns and a "controversial let" that was not called by the chair umpire. I thought that Serena was going to close it out in straight sets. After 2.5 hours, and while saving 4 matchpoints, Serena defeated Samantha Stosur 6-3, 6-7, 7-5. What a first round match and treat for those in attendance! I was on the edge of my seat when Serena kept losing her serve and when Samantha went up a break in the 3rd set and then attempted to serve for the match. Serena had not played competitively prior to this match since the Sony Ericsson Championships in November. I'm sure there was some "rust" to shake off.

Serena is a fighter and she showed what a champion is made of. Back against the wall and matchpoints down, Serena did what she does best, and that's FIGHT! Samantha gave Serena some stiff competition in this first round match. It appears that there were MANY errors and double faults but when the match was on the line (quite a few times), Serena stuck around and refused to lose. Way to go SERENA!!! They appeared to play this match as if it were for the title. I'm going to bed now (I have to get up early for church) but a more "detailed" review of this match is on the way.

No comments: