January 15, 2009

Subdued Serena loses Medibank Semifinal

SYDNEY, Australia (AP)—Top-seeded Serena Williams lost 6-3, 6-1 amid a flurry of errors (and intense heat) against Olympic gold medalist Elena Dementieva in the Sydney International semifinals Thursday. Williams was backing up from her 2hr 40min struggle with Danish teenager Caroline Wozniacki late Wednesday, when she saved three match points before prevailing in a third-set tie-breaker. The second-ranked Williams will head to Melbourne for next week’s Australian Open.

“I gave it away more than anything,” Williams said. “I made a lot of errors and made her look like a champ, really. I just pretty much gave her the match.” The nine-time Grand Slam singles winner remained optimistic about her chances at the season’s first major, saying she is feeling fit and healthy. “It was good to have a few matches under my belt getting ready for Melbourne,” she said. “I feel like I’m going play a lot better than what I did this week.”

No comments: