February 16, 2009

Serena withdraws from Open Gaz de France

Serena pulled out of her semifinal match (Saturday) with a knee injury. Number one seed Williams had secured her place in the last four Friday defeating French qualifier Emilie Loit 6-4, 6-1, although the American was made to work much harder than she had done in her opening two matches. In Sunday's final Dementieva will meet revitalised Frenchwoman Amelie Mauresmo who stunned Serbian second seed Jelena Jankovic 6-2, 0-6, 6-1.

Williams, fresh from her Australian Open win, said she had felt pain during her match with Loit. "My knees have been really good, and I'm really optimistic. I think they'll continue to be really good," said Williams who is due to play in Dubai next week. "I just have been playing a lot of tennis, so maybe it's just a sign that I'll need to take a day or two off and get ready for the next event."

No comments: