May 11, 2009

Serena out of Madrid; knee injury

MADRID (AP) -- Serena Williams withdrew from the Madrid Open on Monday citing a knee injury in a first-round match against Francesca Schiavone. The second-ranked Williams retired after losing the first set 6-4.

"I was just really hindered. My movement was hindered as a result of an injury I've been struggling with for some time," Williams said. A downcast Williams said she had made too many commitments with her schedule this year and was paying the price.

"I'm trying to compete and do my best, and it didn't work out," she said. "I didn't want to risk my chances to play Roland Garros. I wanted to do well (here), but at the end of the day I'm trying to play Paris and still trying to play singles and doubles there so I didn't really want to take that chance and be out of Roland Garros." The American 10-times grand slam winner played last month's Andalucia Tennis Championships when she had clearly not recovered from a thigh problem that hampered her in the final of the Sony Ericsson Open the previous week.

No comments: