October 31, 2009

Serena in SEC Final as Wozniacki retires



Serena Williams, 2001 Sony Ericsson champion and new world No.1 advanced to the SEC Final when Caroline Wozniacki was forced to retire. Serena took the first set 6-4 and Wozniacki was up 1-0 in the second set before calling it quits. Danish teenager Wozniacki came into the tournament carrying a left thigh strain struggled with cramps in the round-robin stage. A stomach strain forced to her to quit. "Caroline is a great fighter and a new face on the tour," said Serena, who has now won all four matches here including a three-set group win over her sister. "I wasn't playing great. I think it's hard to play well against a player who's injured and is so nice. She's been struggling throughout the entire tournament," Serena said. "She's just an incredible fighter to come out here today and put up an effort."

Serena played her semi-final with a tightly-bandaged left thigh. With fitness worries on her mind, Serena earlier pulled out of next weekend's Fed Cup final between the US and Italy. Wozniacki, the US Open runner-up, admitted it was a match too far. "I felt pain in my stomach muscle. I also had problems serving. But today after a while, the serve went over and also when I was hitting just regular groundstrokes, I started feeling it," she said. "So it was just too much for me to keep playing."

No comments: