January 15, 2010

Dementieva wins Medibank International - Sydney


SYDNEY -- Top-seeded Serena Williams struggled in the Sydney International final Friday, carrying a strapping around her knee and committing 40 unforced errors in a 6-3, 6-2 loss to fifth-seeded Elena Dementieva of Russia. Williams also appeared to hurt her left knee during the match but later downplayed any suggestion of an injury and said she still would play singles and doubles with her sister, Venus, at next week's Australian Open.

"I think she played well," Serena Williams said. "I made about a thousand and two unforced errors ... it's better now than later, I guess." When asked about her left leg, which she appeared to favor during the match, she said: "I was struggling a little bit, but, you know, I hate to make any excuse. I think she definitely deserves all the credit for what she did." Serena leads the head-to-head match up 7-5, having beaten Dementieva three times last year (Australian Open, Wimbledon and the Sony Ericsson Championships).

Williams said she felt great heading into the season's first major, where she is the defending women's singles champion. "I feel like I have more than enough matches under my belt," she said. "I feel like I'm really ready and fit. Even though I didn't play great today, I feel like I can play much better."

No comments: