May 4, 2010

Serena RETURNS with 2nd Round win in Rome!

Serena Williams defeated Timea Bacsinszky in straight sets (7-6, 6-1) to win her first match since January at the Italian Open on her return from injury.

Serena was down 4-1 and saved three set points at 5-4 before going to a tiebreaker. After dominating the tiebreaker, she ran off the next four games to secure the match.

Serena said she didn't quite know what to expect in her first match since January.

"I had been spending a lot of time on court,'" admitted Serena. "My body is fine. It's feeling better. When you first come back, you're never really 100%. At first you just have to start playing some tournaments to see how it goes."

"I went in there thinking I can win or I can lose," she said. "You never know what can happen and I didn't put too much pressure on myself. I got off to a little bit of a slow start, but it was good and I was able to fight it off."

"I don't think anything went wrong. I thought she played excellently. She was really playing well so I just had to pick up the level of my game. I hope by the time I get to Roland Garros, I'll be playing really well. It (Tuesday's match) is definitely a start."

No comments: