May 12, 2010

Serena sent packing in Madrid; loses to Petrova


Top-ranked Serena Williams was knocked out of the Madrid Masters on Wednesday, falling 4-6, 6-2, 6-3 to Nadia Petrova of Russia in the third round.

Petrova, who has won 19 doubles titles, frustrated Williams into making 41 errors by hitting accurately from the baseline. The 16th-seeded Petrova served 10 aces to advance to the quarterfinals. Williams had looked out of form in a marathon match against Vera Dushevina on Tuesday, which lasted 3 hours, 26 minutes. It was the longest match of her career.

Last year, Williams was beaten in the opening round in her first appearance at the Madrid Masters. "I wasn't moving my fastest but all I could do was try and do the best I could. I don't know. I definitely wasn't at my best," said Williams, who criticized the tournament for its scheduling. "This isn't a player-favorite tournament, just to be honest. None of the players are really gung-ho about playing here."

Williams, who had to work hard to beat Vera Dushevina in the last round, looked down and out well before she sent a forehand over the baseline on the Russian's first match point.

No comments: