June 20, 2010

Serena relishes getting angry (on court)



DEFENDING Wimbledon champ Serena Williams says she relishes getting angry on court - and has vowed to never curb her fiery temperament.

Hot-headed Serena was fined following an f-word tirade at a line judge during the US Open last September. But the SW19 star insists her emotional displays represent everything that is great about the sport. She said: "I've always been a perfectionist and had a little temper and that's never going to change. That's exciting. That makes people want to watch, it's cool.

"You can't change who you are. When I demolish a racket I like to see how many cracks there are - if there is one crack it's no good. If I need to destroy the racket I've got to go all the way. Sometimes there are three different cracks - that's a really good one.''

Current world No 1 Serena is vying for her fourth Wimbledon title and a 13th Grand Slam. Yet the real target is to better Tiger Woods' tally of 14 majors before the year is out. She added: "I always wanted to catch up with him but I couldn't remember how many Grand Slams I had so I asked on Twitter. They told me 12. Now I know. "I would love to have five or six Wimbledons but I'll just do the best I can. I won't get too down if it doesn't happen. I had chances to get more but I screwed them up - it's my own fault."

The American kicks off her Wimbledon title defence this week against world No 148 Michelle Larcher de Brito, 17, who defeated Brit hopeful Laura Robson in the run-up to the tournament last year. The draw is again set-up for yet another Williams sisters' Grand Slam final. Serena defeated Venus in the 2009 final and claims their sibling rivalry makes life harder for their opponents. "We really enjoy it," beamed Serena. "We've seen off our rivals because we're good. We are very close.

Article by: Greg Gobere (News of the World UK)

No comments: