July 10, 2010

Foot injury sidelines Serena for WTT

The 13-time Grand Slam singles champ said she cut her foot on some glass in between Wimbledon and her Friday morning flight from Belgium to the states. She made the trip to the Glens Falls Civic Center anyway, taking in the entire 3 1/2-hour World Team Tennis match from the Kastles' bench. "After Wimbledon, I look forward to coming home and coming to cities I never get to come to and seeing fans I never see," said Williams, who received a raucous ovation from the crowd.

Williams was scheduled to face five-time Grand Slam singles champion and Buzz player Martina Hingis in the women's singles match. Hingis said she was disappointed that she would not face Williams, whom Sports Illustrated recently ranked as the best female tennis player of all-time. "But, on the other hand I'm a little bit relieved," Hingis said with a laugh. "I'm sure she would (compete) if she could."

"I didn't even know I was going to play her," Williams said. "It would've been fun. We've had so many wonderful matches." With Wimbledon champion Serena Williams on the sideline watching, the Washington Kastles were still able to rally past the NY Buzz 20-12.
Leander Paes and Rennae Stubbs paced the Kastles winning 2 doubles matches apiece. The Buzz effort was highlight by 5-time Slam winner Martina Hingis who blanked Serena's replacement Angela Haynes 5-0.

Serena took part in a pre-match press conference. She also made an appearance at the sponsor party and she spent 45 minutes after the match signing autographs for kids. It's obviously disappointing," Williams said. "I'm a big supporter of team tennis, so I'm still glad to be here."

No comments: